Assorted veneer for marquetry. 5’’ to 7.5’’ x 8’’ (15 sq.ft.)
Assorted unbacked, high-quality, real wood veneer for marquetry. 5’’ to 7.5’’ x 8’’ (15 sq.ft.)
- Sheet measures 8" in length and 5" to 7-1/2" in width. Average thickness is ,024 inches
- The convenient 15 square foot packs are the perfect size for marquetry, inlay repair, accents on furniture and any other small jobs around the shop.
- Grain runs lengthwise
Due to the nature of wood movement, shrinkage and expansion are possible. Please measure each piece carefully before starting any project.
Wood is a product of nature, and as such, no two pieces are alike to start with, while the same wood growing in different locales can vary greatly even though it is the exact same species.
- Sequencing: When sheets of veneer are cut from the log in succession and kept together in order. Allows sheets to be arranged to create stunning symmetrical patterns.
- Faces: Typically, one side of the veneer will be smoother than the other. Whenever possible, glue with the the rougher side down.
- Substrate: The surface – for large surfaces, often a dimensionally stable material such as plywood, MDF or particleboard – to which veneer is glued.
- Cutting: A sharp utility knife works, or a special veneer saw can be used. A straightedge also will come in handy.
- Glue: Regular yellow wood glue works well, but hide glue also could be used. When gluing sheets of veneer next to each other for a large panel, use veneer tape to keep the edges together.
- Smoothing: Use a roller or a veneer smoothing blade to make sure you have tight adhesion between the veneer and the substrate