Circa 1850 tung oil
Tung oil is recommended for all interior wood surfaces.It provides beautiful hand-rubbed finish and resists weel against water spills. Tung oil is a penetrating finish that leaves the natural look and feel of the wood and prevents the wood from drying out. Ideal for projects where you want to highlight the colour and character of the wood.
- Surface must be dry and clean before application.
- Apply without dilution and wipe on tung oil using a lint-free cloth.
- Let the oil penetrate for at least 10 minutes and then wipe off the excess with a clean cloth so that a thin coat remains on the surface.
- If little puddles from soon after you have removed the excess finish, continue wiping every 10 minutes until no new puddles form.
- Let dry for 24 hours.
- To smooth out the surface between coats, buff with a steel wool #0000.
- Apply a thin second coat and immediatly wipe off the excess.
- To obtain a finish that is a bit shinner, a third and fourth coat may be applied.
- Always wait 24 hours between coats.
- Avoid working in direct sunlight or wind.
- Tung oil is only to be applied onto bare, stained, or previously oiled wood surfaces - never over any other type of finish.